SAVANNAH, Ga. (WSAV) — A man was found dead inside a home on Cottingham Drive after the house caught on fire around 8 a.m. Thursday.
Savannah Fire determined the victim fell asleep while smoking.
Savannah Fire crews were dispatched after neighbors reported seeing smoke and flames coming from the home. Firefighters forced their way in through the locked front door and searched the home and battle the fire–which was fueled by the jumble of personal items and debris stored inside the home.
The victim was found inside a rear bedroom. Savannah Fire is investigating the blaze.
Investigators have yet to release the victim’s name, but neighbors describe him as quiet and kept to himself.
News 3 will continue to follow this story.