Mother tosses daughter to safety after apartment fire

Courtesy: Savannah Fire

SAVANNAH, GA- A Savannah mother threw her five-year-old daughter out of a second story window on Saturday night when her neighbor’s apartment caught on fire. The family’s neighbor caught the child.

The fire broke around 5:30 p.m. off of Tibet Avenue. Elyssa Robinson said she panicked when she saw smoke coming from her neighbor’s apartment down the hall. She dropped down her daughter from the window while assuring her that she will be safe.

“At first she said, ‘no no Mama. She’s not going to catch me,’ and I was like, ‘she’s going to catch you.’ Through the midst of her going through all that, I just threw her out,” said Robinson.

Eddie Mai told News 3 her niece was home at the time of the fire, but she only arrived home hours later. The niece yelled at Robinson and the rest of the neighbors to escape the apartment when the smoke turned to blaze.

“I dialed 9-11 and gave them my address. I said, ‘there’s a girl running up and down the hallway banging on the door screaming help.’ I said, ‘you guys need to get someone over here as quick as possible’,” said Robinson.

Although the fire only destroyed a part of the kitchen, Robinson told News 3 that the entire family will help Eddie Mai during her time of need.

“Whatever I can do to help, I will be definitely there to help them, as well, and I know everyone in Savannah that knows the story, who can reach out to help, will help her, as well.”

Neighbors also told News 3 that there were no working smoke detectors in the apartment complex.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s