STATESBORO, Ga. (WSAV) — Cold temperatures are here to stay, and with those low numbers — safety hazards increase.
Whether you are on the road or at home, Emergency Management officials in Bulloch County are asking you to stay prepared.
When driving on the road there is the possibility that bridges and overpasses will get black ice. But following these steps can help keep you safe:
- Be sure to slow down while driving to avoid skidding and lose control of your car.
- Make sure you have a full tank of gas.
- Have a mechanic check the antifreeze levels to be sure the car can handle the cold temperatures.
Even if you’re staying at home, officials urge you to follow the Four P Rule — Pets, Plants, Pipes and People:
- Bring your PETS inside – They don’t need to be out when it is below freezing.
- Bring your PLANTS inside – They will die outside if you leave them out in the cold.
- PIPES – Let your faucets drip a little bit to keep the water from freezing and bursting. If you have exposed pipes outside, wrap them up.
- PEOPLE – Check on your neighbors, especially those who live alone and may need some assistance. Be sure that they have the capability to stay warm.
Taking these simple steps can help keep you and those close to you safe for the new year.