After mistrial, slain SC motorist’s family still confident

Anthony Scott, the brother of Walter Scott, the unarmed black motorist who was shot and killed by a North Charleston, S.C., police officer earlier this year, speaks Thursday, Oct. 8, 2015, in North Charleston after the city council approved a $6.5 million settlement with the Scott family. North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey is at left. (AP Photo/Bruce Smith)

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) – Relatives of Walter Scott say they’re confident justice will prevail even though a South Carolina jury couldn’t reach a verdict in the murder trial of the former police officer charged in his death.

The jurors deliberated more than 22 hours over four days before a mistrial was declared Monday in the five-week trial of Michael Slager.

The white former officer was charged with shooting Scott, who was black, five times as he fled a traffic stop in April 2015.

Scott’s mother, Judy, told reporters later that she is trusting in the Lord and that there are two more trials coming.

Solicitor Scarlett Wilson says she’ll retry the case. Meanwhile, Slager faces a federal trial next year on charges he deprived Scott of his civil rights.

(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s