SAVANNAH, Ga. – The City of Savannah has issued waste removal guidelines for City Sanitation services.
- There will be no garbage collection Monday October 10th
- Services will resume Tuesday on a modified Holiday schedule, meaning if your normal garbage collection is on Monday, it is now on Tuesday and if it’s Tuesday, it’s now Wednesday etc.
- Because of the power widespread outages, food spoilage is making garbage removal priority. Recycling collection is suspended until further notice. Recycling carts should be used for garbage overflow.
- The Dean Forest Road Landfill will be open starting Tuesday for direct haul of garbage. Additional garbage drop-off sites may be opened if necessary.
In regards to storm debris:
- Clean vegetative material should be placed curbside, preferably at the regular point of yard waste collection if possible.
- Follow regular set-out guidelines to the extent practical (cut branches to 4 feet and stack them; loose leaves in brown paper yard waste bags or container; no plastic bags).
- Separate piles should be made for vegetative materials, building material debris, bulk items such as furniture, and empty appliances.
- Following regular guidelines allows more material to be carried per truckload and speeds up the overall collection effort.
The City requests your help with the following:
- Please adhere to storm debris set-out guidelines.
- Limit materials set out to storm-related items only. Now is not the time to clean out the closet or garage.
- Do not mix and mingle different debris types; this only creates more work and slows the overall process down.
- Only place plastic bags in City-issued refuse containers. Do not use plastic bags for yard debris.
- Do not place debris in the roadway.
- Do not blow leaves or other vegetation into the street.