ÄLMHULT, Sweden (WCMH) – Ikea said Monday that it will recall a line of chests and dressers after the deaths of three toddlers in two years.
The company said that its ‘Malm’ line of products will be discontinued because they ‘could be a danger,’ according to Ikea USA President Lars Peterson in a statement to NBC News.
The recall will affect at least 27 million chests and dressers.
Last year, Ikea began offering free wall anchoring kits to customers who purchased the dressers after safety regulators called them unsafe if not mounted to a wall.
Ikea and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission say two boys, both around two years old, were killed in 2014 after Malm chests that had not been secured to walls tipped over and fell on them. The agency and Ikea say they have received 14 reports of Malm chests tipping over, resulting in four injuries. Ikea is aware of three other deaths were reported from other models of chests and drawers that tipped over. Those deaths were described as happening since 1989.
In a statement to NBC News, Ikea said it issued the recall despite the anchor campaign, which resulted in the company sending out 300,000 kits.
“It is clear that there are still unsecured products in customers’ homes,” the statement says. “We believe that taking further action is the right thing to do.”
The full scope of the recall is expected to be announced later today.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.