CHATHAM COUNTY, Ga (WSAV-TV) – We are one week away from Memorial day which of course is the kickoff of grilling season. Several grill fires have already torched homes in our area.
A week ago a family of three was displaced due to what witnesses say was a grill fire that spread to the back of the home.
With the outdoor grilling season about to be in full swing, Savannah fire wants homeowners to remain on alert.
“It’s that one time that something bad can happen that we want to prevent.”
First and foremost fire officials never advise grilling somewhere enclosed like a porch or garage.
“We recommend that you bring the grill out at least ten feet from the structure.”
With drier conditions, they say it’s best to keep the grills away from any dead or dried plants and trees. Keller adds that monitoring and properly using or disposing coals is key.
“If your coals go out, don’t spray more lighter fluid on them, get some new coals start over again because sometimes that can create a flash fire, and it’s real fast, it’s real intense and it’s real dangerous.”
In fact, the National Fire Protection Association estimates each year an average of nearly 9,000 fires are caused by poor grilling practices.
“Check your connections along with everything else, keeping the grill away from structures away from flammable items, create a safe zone, don’t relight your charcoal and everyone should have a safe summer.”
Here are some of the recommendations by the NFPA on safe grilling:
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.