A mother and her three children were present when a fire was discovered in the kitchen of the mobile home on Saxonville Road. Damages from heat, fire, and smoke to the home caused the St. Helena/Lady’s Island Fire Department to cut off all utilities, according to a release.
The mother was taken to the hospital to treat the only injury reported, possible smoke inhalation.
Now, the family of four is homeless.
Two American Red Cross disaster team volunteers from the Bluffton office also responded to the scene to assist the family with food for a week and a temporary place to stay while they gather assistance from partner agencies.
The American Red Cross release goes on to say that a caseworker will be in contact with the family this morning to check on the mother’s health and “assess the family’s needs to begin recovery efforts”.