SAVANNAH, Ga. – SCMPD Officials say they’ve taken nearly 400 guns off the streets since the beginning of the year.
That’s an increase of 27% over the same period last year according to officials.
Along with the confiscated weapons, 33 felony and 28 misdemeanor arrestes were made between April 24th and 29th. 15 illegal firearms were seized in those arrests, seven of which were reported stolen.
The task force’s 33 felony arrests consisted of:
- 5 Possession of a Firearm by a Convicted Felon
- 5 felony warrants
- 4 Theft by Receiving Stolen Firearm
- 4 Theft by Receiving Stolen Auto
- 4 Possession of Controlled Substance (cocaine)
- 3 Possession of Marijuana with Intent to Distribute
- 2 probation/parole violations
- 2 Fleeing to Elude
- 1 Possession of a Firearm with an Altered Serial Number
- 1 Transporting Stolen Firearm Across State Lines
- 1 Possession of Dangerous Drugs
- 1 Making False Statements
Chief of Police Joseph H. Lumpkin, Sr. said, “We are going after criminals and illegal guns with a laser focus. But there are more than 300 million guns in America and criminals are easily able to get their hands on more guns; they are stealing them and purchasing them illegally. We have to put a stop to this. We need the community to step forward and secure their firearms and provide us with timely information about the felons who illegally have guns. We want to prevent gun violence. If we don’t, there will be more victims, more people shot and killed. We don’t want to any more victims.”