PARIS (AP) — The French prosecutor’s office says a key suspect in the Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, has been transferred from Belgium to the French capital, arriving at 9:05 a.m. (0705 GMT). The Paris prosecutor’s office says he is to face investigative judges later Wednesday for eventual charges. The prosecutor’s office will ask that he be jailed, a likely formality in the case of Abdeslam.
Abdeslam, arrested in Belgium last month after four months on the run, is wanted by the French for his role in the Nov. 13 attacks in the French capital that killed 130 victims.
A statement on Wednesday from the Belgium Federal Prosecutor’s Office said Abdeslam was delivered to French authorities Wednesday morning under a March 19 European arrest warrant.
France’s Justice minister says Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam will be held in an adapted prison in the Paris region with maximum security.
Jean-Jacques Urvoas says Abdeslam will be placed in the solitary confinement sector of the prison under guard of a dedicated team, following his presentation to a judge scheduled later Wednesday.
Urvoas, speaking in the Elysee courtyard following a Cabinet meeting, didn’t identify which prison in which Abdeslam will be confined.