GREENVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – The clock is ticking to file tax returns. The deadline this year is midnight on Monday, April 18. The deadline was extended by three days this year since April 15 fell on a holiday. Yet still, many Americans have waited until Monday.
For those procrastinators, there are some tips to prevent having to pay a late fee.
- Gather all necessary documents, like W2’s from employers, forms showing any interest savings account have earned, mortgage interest statements, and receipts for all purchases and payments.
- To get things done quickly, file online.
- It also helps to have a checklist of deductions.
Some little-known tax breaks include the following:
- Those self-employed and responsible for their own health coverage can deduct the entire cost of their premiums.
- Those on limited incomes can look into the Saver’s Credit if they’ve contributed to an IRA.
Taxpayers can also ask for an extension, which gives people more time to file, but means they have to pay interest on what they owe. According to the IRS, nearly 25% of all Americans wait until the last 2 weeks before the deadline to prepare their tax returns.
And treat yourself to freebies and discounts on this Tax Day as well.
- Chili’s: Get a Presidente Margarita for $5 on April 18.
- Great American Cookies: Stop by a participating location and get a free chocolate chip cookie on Tax Day. No coupon required.
- Krystal: Use these printable coupons until April 24 to take advantage of these buy one, get one free biscuit and burger offers.
- Arby’s: Get two Arby’s Gyros for $6 until April 30. No coupon required.
- Sonic: Get 50 percent off cheeseburgers on April 18.
- Planet Fitness: Whether you’re a member or not, you can get a free HydroMassage at any Planet Fitness location during tax week. Visit PlanetFitness.com to get your coupon on April 18. Must be 18 or older to redeem.
- GameStop: Get 25 percent off pre-owned interactive gaming figurines if you order online by April 30.
- Best Buy: Shop the Tax Refund Event and save up to $20 on select video games, get $100 off Macbooks and much more until April 18.
- Groupon: Take advantage of the Max Your Tax Refund deal to get a Stamina InMotion Rower for $84.99. No expiration date known.
- 101 Inks: Get 10 percent off any order with code TAX10 until April 30.
- Shoplet: Get 15 percent off your purchase with promo code COUPONSHERPA15OFF until April 30.
- Liberty Tax: Use promo code CJLOL30 to save 30 percent off your tax filing services until April 30.
- H&R Block: If you file your taxes with H&R Block and use some or all of your refund to purchase gift cards from participating retailers, you’ll get an extra 5 to 10 percent back. Gift card purchases must be made in $100 increments.
- Jackson Hewitt: Get $50 off your tax preparation with the printable coupon or present it on your phone until April 18.
- TaxSlayer: E-file with this company and you’re automatically entered in the “30 Days of Tax Swag” contest, which could earn you hilarious prizes, such as a Thick Cut Bacon Buckle and a New York Style Pepperoni Pizza necklace.
- Staples: Bring your confidential documents in and get the first 5 pounds of paper shredded for free on April 18.