You may have noticed the new parking meter enforcement hours that were put in place back in January, but for some the new rate and hours still seem to shock them.
“It’s always best, whether you are parking in downtown Beaufort or downtown Atlanta, to check the parking meter to find out how much it costs, how long you can park, and what hours the meters are enforced,” Beaufort City Manager Bill Prokop said. “We have been enforcing the new parking regulations since January, yet people continue to be surprised that parking meters have to be paid until 7 p.m.,” he said. “We aren’t trying to surprise anyone, so we encourage people to check the parking meter to be sure.”
According to a release sent by John Williams, parking meter regulations in downtown Beaufort apply Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. Those hours start enforcement an hour later in the morning but continue one hour later than in 2015. The city didn’t change the eight-hour period of parking management, it simply shifted the time later.
The changes reflect recommendations by the City of Beaufort Parking Task Force.
- Enforcement of all parking meters in downtown Beaufort from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday
- Sunday parking is free
- Rates for parking meters on Port Republic Street increase from 75 cents per hour to $1 per hour
- Rates for parking meters on side streets north of Port Republic Street decrease from 75 cents per hour to 50 cents per hour
- Time limits for metered parking spaces on Bay Street and side streets from Bay to Port Republic Street change to two hours; some spaces previously had been marked for three and four hours. The shorter time limit will allow more turnover of the parking spaces to benefit merchants
- Increases the “boot fee” to $100 for people with multiple unpaid parking tickets
- Increases the fine for illegally parking in a handicapped space to $500 to conform to state law.
To view the Parking Task Force’s final report, go to www.cityofbeaufort.org, click on Parking Information on the right, then scroll down to Parking Task Force.