EFFINGHAM COUNTY, Ga. – If you’re looking for a place to conduct your Craigslist and other e-commerce transactions safely, the Effingham Sheriff’s Office has you covered.
They are offering their parking lot as a “Craigslist & E-Commerce Safe Zone.”
Sheriff Jimmie McDuffie designated an area of their lot to remain under video surveillance, making it not only safe for transactions, but a child custody exchange when needed.
Sheriff’s Officials off the following advice when using the zone:
- Trade with local buyers/sellers
- Never go to a transaction alone
- Make sure family members or a friend are aware of the transaction and the meeting place
- Always insist on meeting in a public area like our safe transaction zone
- Never allow a stranger into your home nor you into theirs
- Try to plan all transactions during daylight hours for increased safety
- Be extra careful when buying or selling valuables like vehicles or jewelry
- Trust your instincts – if it feels like a scam then it probably is
- If someone is unwilling to meet you at the Sheriff’s Office safe zone then it is probably not a legitimate deal