Burton firefighters have had their hands full in the past week responding to three different fires.
On Saturday morning, at about 5, they were called to a fire at the McDonald’s on Paris Island Gateway in Port Royal.
When they arrived on scene they found the deep fryer system fully consumed with fire; firefighters were able to extinguish it quickly but the fire caused damage to kitchen equipment and smoke caused damage throughout the building.
No injuries were reported.
“Fires in these systems can be tricky as they can get into the vent system that runs through to the roof and can spread through any cracks in that system into the building itself,” stated Burton Fire Lieutenant Justin Blankenship who was first to arrive at the fire. “We checked the building and roof pretty extensively to make sure the fire was out and it was safe.”
Burton fire crews say they worry last year’s string of devastating fires that started during the holidays and resulted in serious injuries and fatalities is repeating itself.