Former neighbor of San Bernardino shooters to be charged

This July 27, 2014 photo provided by U.S. Customs and Border Protection shows Tashfeen Malik, left, and Syed Farook, as they passed through O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. The investigation of the mass shooting San Bernardo, California was just hours old when lawmakers, law enforcement and the public started asking the same question: how did U.S. authorities miss the signs that a Pakistani woman asking for a fiancé visa had been radicalized? Tashfeen Malik came to the U.S. last summer on a K-1 visa in July 2014 and passed multiple background checks and at least two in-person interviews, one in Pakistan and another after she married Sayed Farook. (U.S. Customs and Border Protection via AP)

(KRON) CNN is reporting that Enrique Marquez a friend of the San Bernardino terrorists will be charged as early as today. However CNN’s sources are not saying what Marquez will be charged with.

Fourteen people were killed and 21 others were injured at a workplace holiday party in San Bernardino on Dec. 2 by a gun-wielding husband-and-wife team. Federal authorities say the pair had become self-radicalized in the years before Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, 29, opened fire on Farook’s co-workers. The couple was killed during a subsequent shootout with police.

Farook’s longtime friend and relative-through-marriage, Enrique Marquez, bought the assault rifles used in the shooting more than three years ago, about the time he converted to Islam, according to the law enforcement official. Farook asked Marquez to buy the rifles because he was worried he wouldn’t pass the background check himself.

Marquez, who checked himself into a mental hospital after the attack, told investigators that he and Farook were plotting an attack in 2012.151209172245-enrique-marquez-san-bernardino-killers-neighbor-dnt-todd-tsr-00003828-exlarge-169

Idaho Sen. Jim Risch, a Republican who sits on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, said they had an actual plan, including buying weapons, but became apprehensive and shelved it because of law enforcement activity and arrests in the area.

Marquez, 24, has told investigators he didn’t know about the plans for the San Bernardino attack, U.S. officials have said.

But he has acknowledged that he bought the two AR-15s for Farook several years ago, and he told investigators about a 2012 attack plot that he says he and Farook conceived but did not carry out, U.S. officials told CNN.

Since the San Bernardino shootings, he has waived his Miranda rights, cooperated with investigators and provided information, according to the officials.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s