Sheriff’s Officials to Recommend Manslaughter Charge for Caitlyn Jenner in Fatal Crash

FILE - Feb. 7, 2015 (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu, File)

(KRON/AP) — Caitlyn Jenner could face a charge of manslaughter in connection with the deadly vehicle crash in Malibu earlier this year.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department plans to recommend prosecutors file a vehicular manslaughter charge against Jenner for her role in the February chain reaction crash on the Pacific Coast Highway. Investigators say her SUV rear-ended a Lexus, pushing it into oncoming traffic.

Typically, a misdemeanor manslaughter charge carries a one-year jail sentence.

Det. Richard Curry of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said that while Jenner was not driving above the speed limit, she was traveling at a speed that was unsafe for the road conditions that day.

Records show cell phones were not being used at the time of the collision, Curry said.

The case will be presented to prosecutors for final review next week, according to sheriff’s spokeswoman Nicole Nishida. The district attorney’s office will determine what charges Jenner ultimately faces.

A manslaughter charge could carry a sentence of one year in county jail.

Jenner’s attorney Blair Berk declined comment.

The crash claimed the life of 69-year-old Kim Howe of Calabasas.

It happened several months before Caitlyn Jenner’s transition. She was formerly known as Bruce Jenner, the 1976 Olympic decathlon champion and Kim Kardashian’s stepfather.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s