Hatchet-wielding suspect killed by police in Antioch theater shooting

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A man who entered an Antioch movie theater armed with a hatchet and airsoft pistol that looked like a real gun while carrying two bags was killed by Metro-Nashville police Wednesday afternoon.

Officers responded to the Carmike Hickory 8 theater on Bell Road within minutes of receiving calls shots were fired around 1:13 p.m. as they were working a nearby crash.

Vincente David Montano, 29, who was wearing a surgical mask and bought a ticket to enter the theater, reportedly began attacking people in the theater during a showing of “Mad Max: Fury Road.” According to a preliminary estimate, 20 people were inside the theater at the time.

Antioch theater shooting
The hatchet carried by the suspect in the Antioch theater suspect (Courtesy: Metro Nashville Police Department)

When confronted by at least 5 officers, the suspect, a 29-year-old male, fled to the back of the building where authorities say he raised his weapon.

Metro police then fired multiple shots, killing the suspect. His name has yet to be released.

Both the hatchet and airsoft pistol were recovered by authorities at the scene.

His backpack was detonated by the bomb squad just before 4 p.m. as authorities were not comfortable opening it. The suspect also had a smaller satchel with him.

Police say a “hoax device” was found in the gunman’s backpack and posed no threat to the community. The second bag, a “parcel,” was left in the back of the theater. Police are working on finding out the contents of that bag.

Initial reports indicated the suspect was also seen in or near the Southeast Branch Library prior to the shooting, but police Chief Steve Anderson later said there was no information to indicate that.

According to Brian Haas with the Nashville Fire Department, three people sustained minor injuries from being pepper sprayed, reportedly by the assailant. They were a 58-year-old man, 53-year-old woman and 17-year-old girl.

One of those three also received a bruise on the arm, reportedly from a hatchet the suspect was carrying. No one was transported to a hospital.

Steven, the 58-year-old victim who chose to only release his first name, told media he is “eternally grateful for the Metro police department.”

Chief Anderson made a powerful statement Wednesday evening, saying “this is maybe the new normal.”

“And we can’t just shut down America. We can’t say we’re not going to theaters. We can’t say we’re not going to church. We carry on,” he added.

Don Aaron, spokesman for the Metro Nashville Police Department, said multiple lives were likely saved by the first officer who ran inside the theater.

“Nashvillians should know they have a brave, well-trained police department,” Aaron added.

Nashville Mayor Karl Dean said he applauds the police department for its great work to apprehend the suspect, keep our citizens and visitors safe, and “prevent a tragedy in Antioch today.”

His statement continued, “We have one of the best police forces in the nation, and it showed this afternoon in the way our officers lived up to their very thorough training. I recognize that this situation must have been traumatizing for everyone in the theater and many who were nearby, and I’m sorry that some were injured and needed treatment. I’m relieved that no one else was killed, and again, I thank the police for that.”

District Attorney Glenn Funk released the following statement on Wednesday’s incident:

I am extremely grateful for the fast, professional and effective response of the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department to this crisis. These heroes prevented what easily could have become a massacre inside the theater. I would like to personally thank Chief Steve Anderson and the men and women who just put risked their lives to keep Nashville citizens safe.

Carmike’s corporate offices in Georgia said they “are grateful for the quick and professional actions of our staff and all first responders in Antioch and Nashville.”

“The well-being of our guests and employees has been and will continue to be of utmost importance to our organization,” Carmike officials added.

Antioch theater shooting
The suspect began attacking people in the theater during a showing of “Mad Max: Fury Road.”

Multiple other agencies responded to the scene to assist in the investigation, including the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Federal Bureau of Investigation, agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) as well as SWAT.

There were reports of nearby schools also being placed on lock down but students were not there at the time as Metro had a half day Wednesday.

The nearby Ford Ice Center plans to remain closed for the rest of the day. They will resume normal operations Thursday.

The ridesharing company Uber said on Twitter they are “concerned about the event in Antioch,” and are therefore refunding all Uber rides from the Carmike Hickory 8 theater to help riders get home safely.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s