Brad Faxon and Jeff Sluman have grabbed the first round lead at the Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf.
CLICK ON THE VIDEO LINK TO SEE THE FULL COVERAGE.
Faxon and Sluman fired a 62 (-10). Savannah's Gene Sauers and his partner, Kenny Perry, are four strokes back.
RELEASE FROM THE CHAMPIONS TOUR:
2013 Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf First-Round Notes
(the seventh of 26 official events on the 2013 Champions Tour)
Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa April 26-28, 2013
Savannah, GA Purse: $2,700,000/$500,000 (Raphael)
Par/Yards : 36-36—72/7,087; 6,742 (Raphael)
Charles Schwab Cup points: 230
Weather: Mostly sunny and breezy with high temperatures in the mid-70s. Winds ENE from 10-20 mph with occasional higher gusts.
1) Brad Faxon/Jeff Sluman/32-30—62 (-10)
2) Bernhard Langer/Tom Lehman/32-31—63 (-9)
T3) Craig Stadler/Kirk Triplett/31-33—64 (-8), Andy North/Tom Watson/33-31—64 (-8), Tom Kite/Gil Morgan/32-32—64 (-8).
T1 – Ian Baker-Finch/Bart Bryant/35-30—65 (-7), Keith Fergus/Blaine McCallister/33-32—65 (-7)
T3 – Gary Koch/Roger Maltbie/34-32—66 (-6).
- Brad Faxon and teammate Jeff Sluman birdied five of their final six holes on Friday to seize the firstround lead in the Legends Division of the Liberty Mutual Insurance Legends of Golf. The pair finished with a score of 10-under-par 60 in the better-ball format and owns a one-stroke advantage over
- Bernhard Langer and Tom Lehman, who won the title here in 2009. Sluman made the first two of 10 birdies by the team before Faxon reeled off the next seven. Sluman closed out the round by sinking a 12-footer at No. 18 which gave them their one-stroke lead.
- In the Raphael Division competition, Ian Baker-Finch and Bart Bryant share the lead with Keith Fergus and Blaine McCallister at 7-under-par 65. Two-time defending champions Des Smyth and partner Mark James are currently among four teams tied at 5-under-par 67.
- Michael Allen and David Frost, the 2012 champions in the Legends Division, opened with a 5-under-par 67 and are currently T21.
- First-round leaders Brad Faxon and Jeff Sluman had 10 birdies on Friday to lead all teams in that category.
- Of the teams currently in the top 10, only one of those 10 made a bogey in the first round and that was the team of Andy North and Tom Watson who bogeyed No. 6.
- The team of Brad Faxon and Jeff Sluman had the best birdie run in the Legends Division, making four straight on Nos. 4-7. Former University of Houston Cougars Keith Fergus and Blaine McCallister had four in a row on Nos. 10-13 in the Raphael Division.